There’s no doubt that running a business can be time consuming. As a social media specialist, web designer or entrepreneur, you have to keep the content on your clients’ sites fresh, not to mention the social media aspect and updating the software regularly to keep your site secure. While many people have valid objections to outsourcing, it makes sense to hire someone who can take care of the tasks that you may not have the time, skills or inclination to do. But does it make better sense to hire someone to work on it in your office, or should you dive into the deep side with a freelance web content writer? Let’s look at some of the reasons why it’s great to work online with freelance web content writers.
Benefits of Collaborating with Freelance Web Content Writers – Online
- Freelance Web Content Writers Have Their Own Infrastructure – That means that you don’t have to supply a computer, internet connection, office space or anything else. It’s all included in the hourly rate. When the computer crashes, it’s not your problem either. By hiring a freelancer, you effectively negate any responsibility for the costs related to running an office. [How to keep your freelance web content writers happy…read more]
- No More Time-Consuming Meetings – Working with freelance web content writers, online, means that you no longer have to do meetings. Let’s face it, most meetings about meetings are a waste of time – we have better things to do in this fast-paced business world. According to Attentive, 45% of all meetings are staff meetings, whereas information-sharing meetings comprise only 21% of the total. Most meetings last from 31-60 minutes, but a lot of time is also wasted on getting ready to go to a meeting, and traveling to a meeting. While I absolutely love my job, I prefer to use my time wisely so as to complete projects well before deadlines, and to have time left to devote to other things that are important to me.
- Online Collaboration Improves Productivity and Decision Making – Working online via email and job sites means that you’re able to attend to each task when you are ready to do so. According to Ray Williams of Wired for Success on Psychology Today: “And brain research may provide us with another reason to not have meetings. Research by University of Minnesota psychologist Kathleen Vohs and her colleagues as well as other neuro-scientists, indicates that we have a limited amount of cognitive or what they call “executive” resources. Once they get depleted, we make bad decisions or choices. Business meetings require people to commit, focus and make decisions, with little or no attention paid to the depletion of the finite cognitive resources of the participants–particularly if the meetings are long. So if that is true, the three or four-hour project meetings may be counterproductive.” Different personality types and learning styles affect the success of a meeting, which is why often during face-to-face meetings, people are focused on everything but what is being said. So it makes sense to work online with a freelance web content writer — most of us are visual learners, so reading your instructions enable us to be fully immersed in the task at hand. [Find out how to use email more effectively…read more]
- Job Sites Make Hiring a Breeze – Technology is incredible. Not only do we have apps that track our fitness, give us directions and keep us in contact with loved ones across the globe, but it also gives us job sites, like Upwork. Job sites handle the entire hiring process. Freelancers are vetted and verified and you can see their work history, portfolio and client ratings. Better yet, the system handles the finances so you don’t have to. All you need to do is post a job, invite a few freelance web content writers to bid, choose the one (or more!) you like best, and assign work. The agreed hourly payment is deducted from your credit card every Monday (only if the freelance web content writers did work for you in the given week) and the Team App ensures that you only pay for actual time worked. [Find out what NOT to say during an interview…read more]
The key is not to prioritize what’s on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities. Stephen Covey
Online Collaboration is Not a New Concept
It has been around for a while, but late adopters are still getting used to this new way of doing things. Online collaboration has changed my life completely. Since December 2009, I have built a successful business, exclusively online, servicing 171 clients on Upwork and many more via Fiverr, referrals and people who found me on lists of preferred service providers. In all this time, I’ve attended 1 interview and that was with Upwork Corporate, when they invited me to become part of the exclusive Upwork Private Talent Cloud, and even that was an online meeting. As for face-to-face meetings, I have only met one client – but then again, he was a friend 16 years ago and it wasn’t a meeting as we did not discuss any business, so that doesn’t actually count. 🙂
Why I Like Being a Freelance Web Content Writer
Priorities. I don’t want to prioritize the time to commute to and from a workplace or meetings. I also don’t want to “get ready for work” or for meetings. I get up in the morning, brush my teeth, slap on jeans and I’m in the office. Being able to work in my own space enables me to focus and be creative. As an introvert, I need to work on my own and dictate my own schedule in order to thrive. And THRIVING is my priority in life.
Nobody’s life is ever all balanced. It’s a conscious decision to choose your priorities every day. Elisabeth Hasselbeck
We Live in Uncertain Times. The world is upside down with messed up economies, terrorism, and greed. We need to cherish moments with our loved ones. We need to prioritize our lives in a way that pleases us. Working from home, online, means that I can prioritize those things that are most important to me – my family. No hard feelings – when I’m not working, I am even more picky with how I spend my time.
Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work. H. L. Hunt
Written Communication Can’t Lie. I don’t know about you, but I’ve been lied to and cheated before – particularly in business. What I like about running my business online, is that when it’s all in writing, we both know where we stand. If people don’t want to put it in writing, I’d rather not do business with them. A lady approached my husband in town a while back, saying that she was looking for freelance web content writers and designers and wanted to meet. I was pushing a deadline and she was traveling, so we could not meet. After several wasted minutes (via email) she said that she wanted me to go with her to meetings with her clients. I had to sell them on my services, and then share the profits with her. I told her “thanks, but no thanks”. Why should I work harder, for less money? Freelance web content writers do not do sales meetings. Clients see my portfolio and hire me on Upwork. I don’t pitch people.
To succeed today, you have to set priorities, decide what you stand for. Lee Iacocca
No Distractions. Since my business is 100% online, I am able to focus on work in a cohesive, structured manner. I have a work schedule, and deal with each client’s work as it comes in. To further avoid distractions, I have thrown away my phone. Creative work requires focus, especially when your daily thoughts flow from the intricacies of plumbing blogs, to psychological dissertations, leisure website content, book editing, legal marketing, and graphic design all in one day. Calls and meetings are unnecessary distractions.
Deadlines aren’t bad. They help you organize your time. They help you set priorities. They make you get going when you might not feel like it. Harvey Mackay
If you’ve been looking for a more effective way to do business, consider getting rid of distractions. Also, working with online freelance website content writers means that you have people who are as committed as you are to push projects through the pipelines. Most of my clients are web design specialists with many clients of their own. They live and work in Australia, Canada and America (and other parts of the world), which means that they can send me an email at close of business in their countries, and by the time they get into the office tomorrow, their work is done without ever having to talk to me. That is the beauty of online collaboration and working with freelance web content writers.
- How to Build a Website in 10 Steps - May 3, 2017
- Social Ad & Small Business Website Review - November 24, 2016
- Freelance Web Content Writers Rule at Productivity - June 24, 2016